Saturday 2 December 2017

Acetate Inking- CAS Watercolour Challenge


Hello and Welcome.
Time for more fun at the 

Our theme this month is 'Anything Goes'

 http://caswatercolour.blogspot.com/2017/12/cas-watercolour-december-challenge.html



This month we welcome out guest Hideko from Papercraft Boutique.
Please check out all the great inspirations the Design Team has created.

 I had the most frustrating time trying to photograph this card so I apologize for the poor quality.

So onto my card.  
As most of you already know, I love to play with my inks and create watercoloured backgrounds that are quick and simple.  I have found that by using a piece of acetate, I can do this quite efficiently as I can bend it and manipulate the inks and place them where I want them to go.
I added ink over ink then when they were all dry, I edged the inked area using my ScorBug and my ScorPal and added the 'Let is Snow' and the snowflake die.  Lastly, I added a silver Nuvo drop to the center of the snowflake.

I created a few of these backgrounds and I took pictures of my process so you could see how I did it.
Hope you enjoy it.




Acetate Inking

Step #1
I got out my piece of acetate and my Distress Oxide inks.
Rub ink onto the acetate sheet.



Step #2
Spray with water, then you can bend the sheet and place the ink wherever you want it to go.


Step #3
Dry each colour layer (I used my heat tool) and then add additional colours you want for your piece.



Finished backgrounds and ready to make a card.


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.


Adding my card to these challenges:
 Simon Says- ANYTHING GOES 
Craftyhazelnut's Christmas- QUICK AND EASY
CAS on Friday- CHRISTMAS
Shopping Our Stash- SNOW MUCH FUN


Supplies
Stamps- none
Inks- Picked Raspberry, Iced Spruce DOX (TH)
Paper- heavy white (local store)
Accessories and Tools- acetate sheet; Stitched Snowflake die (Lawn Fawn); Let is Snow die (STAMPlorations); 
Scorbug; ScorPal; Mister (TH); Cuttlebug; Nuvo silver drops

26 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Love your artsy acetate inked backgrounds, Karen. TFS your photo tutorial..very helpful my friend. I love your watercoloured background for your die cut snowflake and sentiment for your CAS design. TFS and Happy Holidays. Hugs

Brawny x said...

Fabulous backgrounds. A great cardvx

Cathy said...

Fantastic looking technique Karen, TFS how to do it, love these backgrounds, they look so versatile, Cathy x

Loll said...

Beautiful card Karen. The acetate smooshed background is awesome. Thanks for the pics showing the different colour combos you made. xx

Pat said...

Another technique to try Karen and love the different colour combinations. The pink and grey green colour go beautifully together, and the white die cut stitched snowflake and large sentiment look wonderful over the top Karen. I love the scored lines and nuvo drop centre to the snowflake which are great finishing touches. x

Papercraft Boutique said...

This is awesome, Karen! Your acetate inked background with Picked Raspberry and Iced Spruce look so cool against white. Your photos look great (because we didn't see your behind the scene work/frustration)! Thanks for the helpful tutorial! Hideko

Ina G said...

Love your colour choice here Karen. Fabulous background with the scoring adding interest. Another beautiful cas water colour card.

Unknown said...

I love the colours you chose for your card. Absolutely stunning!

Christine said...

Wunderschön :))

Gabi MeWi said...

Thank you for sharing your idea.Wonderful card.

Bonnie said...

I love the backgrounds you get with this technique, Karen! I can never get that control with acetate! Thanks for the tutorial. It helps to see the pictures! Your beautiful snowflake looks perfect with this background and I love the scored dashes that add extra dimension!

Zelda said...

Stunning! Love the background and the colors you used.

cuilliesocks said...

Stunning backgrounds Karen, beautifully designed and gorgeous colours, Kate x

Christine Alexander said...

love the cool colour combo with the black and pink, non traditional but perfect. Also it's great way to apply the inks. Thanks for the info :)

papierelle said...

A snowstorm in the background .... great!!!

Cara said...

Great looking card, thanks for sharing how you make the backgrounds x

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Your background is fabulous! Great card! Thank you for sharing it with us at Shopping Our Stash! Cyndi, DT

Mac Mable said...

Thank you so much for the step by steps, so unique and creative and absolutely love this card x

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning.

Hugs
Anke

Gibmiss said...

Hi Karen
This is my 3rd attemp to message you.... hope this works...
Love your card... the inks look fabulous .. will give this a go...
Sorry not commented for a while ... but do look at your cards regularly...
Hugs Sylvie xx

R's Rue said...

Love.

Susan said...

I'm really behind in my commenting - forgive the lateness! Love your technique and I really appreciate the step-by-step instructions and photos - I'll have to follow them. Wonderful colour combination - it all makes for a great artsy Christmas card.

OH Babs said...

All my craft supplies are put away for holiday company. I can't wait to try the acetate technique. Happy Holidays

Bev Gerard / TexasGrammy said...

Here I sit, nearly scolding myself after reading your welcome tutorial, Karen. So why have I never thought to bend my acetate & use portions in this manner??! Apparently I need you to come stamp beside me for a few sessions just to open my eyes ... and to delight in sharing! Thank you bunches!
~Bev

Cathy said...

Just had another look Karen, you make it look so easy! Fabulous effect, Cathy x

Patricia said...

Just followed a link from your blogpost of today to take a look at your acetate inking. I have done this technique lots of times, but I love how you turn it upside down from how I learned to do it (acetate up and paper down). I love that by using the acetate up and paper down you have much more control on where the ink goes. Why did I not think of this since acetate is clear! Duh! I love how striking your backgrounds are with the borders of white and lots of open space. Fantastic!