Monday 26 June 2017

Do a Double Take

Good Morning.
Today, I have the pleasure of hosting and TLC Challenge at Splitcoast.
I am calling my challenge:
Do a Double Take
 The challenge is to use 2 different stencils on top of each other for your card.

I came up with this challenge after playing with my stencils and my Distress Oxides to see how well they would layer over one another.  I was very pleased with the outcome.

So onto my card.
I began by inking the back of the Mini Harlequin Circles stencil using Peeled paint, sprayed with water and pressed onto my paper to create a monoprint.
For those of you that are unfamiliar with monoprinting, it is another way to use your stencils. Ink is applied directly from the pad to the back of the stencil, sprayed with water and applied to paper.

When that was dry, I laid the Mini Circle Grid onto my paper and this time, I stenciled it using an applicator tool as you would with any stencil.  
I stamped some Graffiti down the left side using more of the Broken China then sponged the edges with that colour too to help tie it all together.
I stamped the flourish just off the edge of my card front leaving enough room to stamp the sentiment.
You can easily stamp over the Oxides which is another reason I just love using them.



I hope you get a chance to try this technique out.  It is a great way to get more mileage using your stencils in a different way!
Thanks for the visit...very appreciated.

Adding my card to these challenges:

Addicted to Stamps and More- MAKE YOUR MARK
Craft Stamper- ANYTHING STAMPED GOES
Mixed Media World- ANYTHING GOES
Love to Create- ANYTHING CREATIVE/MIXED MEDIA GOES
Simon Says Mon.- STENCIL IT

Supplies
Stamps- Art Soul (Hampton Arts); Flourish (Technique Tues. sorry, discontinued); 
Graffiti (Kaisercraft)
Inks- Tuxedo Black Memento; Peeled Paint, Broken China Distress Oxides (TH)
Paper- Heavy weight white (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Misti; stencils..Mini Harlequin Circle, Mini Circle Grid (TCW); mister (TH);
sponge applicator (TH)

25 comments:

Aquarius said...

Great effect - thanks for sharing yet another brilliant background technique to try.

Mac Mable said...

Yes great effect and so artsy. Love the choice of vibrant colours, you do this so well Karen and your projects are always so very eye catching and this one is no different...Fabulous! x

aussie aNNie said...

Love this card Karen, love the colours and technique....oh dear another goodie to try. thanks .xx [aNNie]

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's beautiful Karen and great design
Gr Karin

Dortesjs said...

Beautiful card this ;O)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

FAB-U-LUS gorgeous colours and really "arty" with a super sentiment.
Faith
x

nancy littrell said...

OMG, Karen...I LOVE your monoprint and normal stenciling techniques together. Wonderful stamped flourish and sentiment too. You achieved so much depth, artsy interest and color to your beautiful card design. TFS...I can't wait to play:-) Hugs...

Verna Angerhofer said...

You do such beautiful work. This is an amazing look!

Bonnie said...

Very nice depth, Karen! Love these colors!

Loll said...

Your double take is so fantastic, Karen. And the DOX inks work well with this. Love the combination of stencil patterns and your lovely mix of colours. You are getting more and more into mixed media. :) xx

Barb said...

A really classy looking card Karen. I love the depth you've achieved with the stencilling and the colours are so pretty. Barbxx

Nstiz said...

Outstanding mixed media piece! Love the interest you created in your background and your choice of stamps. This is awesome, Karen!

Pat said...

This is so bright and pretty Karen and the two stencils go together beautifully to give a distressed and slightly grungy look. x

Christine Alexander said...

so artsy, love the mix of monoprint stenciling and regular stenciling.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This card is so interesting with lots to look at in the background. I like the technique. It's very cool.

Julie B said...

Love your colour combination Karen, the stencils work well together too.
Thanks for making your mark at ATSM. :)

Susan said...

Wonderful technique - I must try it for sure. Love the colours, love your choice of stencils and stamps!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great technique and love the finished results. Happy crafty week, Angela x

Anna-Karin said...

That background looks amazing! Gorgeous mix of colours and patterns. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

Linby said...

wow - love the colours and composition of this one.

Gemma Hynes said...

Beautiful layers and colours, thank you for joining in the challenge on the Love to Create blog.

Annie said...

I'm scrolling through your cards and absolutely love this card. The colors are gorgeous and I love Black stamped over the top of gorgeous backgrounds! Also love that flourish design and that sentiment. Eye candy here!

Margik said...

Hi Karen! Wonderful card with amazing colors and background layers!

Bonnie said...

Did you see that this card is in the Designer Spotlight at SSS Monday Challenge? A well deserved honor, my friend!

Bobby said...

I love the idea of a double take, Karen. I will have to give it a try.