Sunday 1 May 2016

CAS Mix Up- Guest Designer

Welcome.

Today, I have the pleasure of being the Guest Designer at the CAS Mix Up Challenge blog.


My good friends Bonnie Klass and Loll Thompson are the creators and they have done such a great job  of hosting some really great challenges to play along with.  I was really thrilled when they asked me to play along this month as the GD.  Thanks so much Bonnie and Loll!

This month the theme is Stamping, Heat Embossing and Your Choice.
(there is a list of choices on the blog)
Easy, right? 



So, onto the details of my card.
I began by masking off the sides of my cardstock using Painter's Tape.  If you remember from my past posts, be sure to stick the tape onto your clothes to remove some of the adhesive before sticking it to your card.  I have forgotten to do that a few times and have torn my cardstock.
I got out my MISTI and using my Memento markers, coloured the flower called Bejeweled from Penny Black.  It is such a great stamp to use for different watercolouring effects.  I sprayed the stamp with water to help blend the colours and pressed that onto my cardstock.  I then took a paintbrush and added some watercolouring to my flowers by adding some darker colour and blending.
When that was dry, I sponged the edges with Salty Ocean Distress ink and stamped the sentiment from the PB set called Special Thoughts with black Memento ink, applied clear embossing powder and heat embossed.  I like to do that whenever stamping over an inked background so it shows up well.  I find it helps to make the sentiment more clear.
I splattered some black acrylic paint over the background to add more interest.

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
I hope you get a chance to play along.

Supplies:  stamps- Penny Black/ inks-Distress, Memento/ Memento markers/ bl acrylic paint/ MISTI/ paint brush/ applicator tool/ painter's tape/


15 comments:

Loll said...

Hi Karen. Gorgeous card as always. LOVE this technique ... you do it so well. And love the addition of the black spatters. Really ties it into the black sentiment. Great tip about heat embossing the sentiment so it stands out over an inked background. Thanks so much for being our Featured Designer this month!! xx

Betty said...

your card is so pretty Karen especially in the lovely blues. i use the black ink/clear embossing powder/MISTI all the time for my sentiments - it's the best ever. congrats on being the guest designer this month for CAS Mix-Up too!

Barb said...

A really beautiful card Karen.Barbx

Susan said...

Love your beautiful blue flower with the subtle black splatters to tie the focal image to the sentiment! You make a good point when you say that embossing a sentiment when it's on top of the image really makes it stand out - I must remember that. Congratulations on being the Featured Designer at CAS Mix Up.

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Karen congratulations on your GDT spot and what a beautiful project this is those colours look awesome I love it
hugs
lorraine x

Bonnie said...

Your flowers are as gorgeous as always, Karen! I love how the black spatters and embossed sentiment play off the blue! Thanks so much for being our Featured Designer this month!

Francie G. said...

Beautiful, Karen! Fabulous water coloring!

Barb Ghig said...

Hi Karen! Congrats on your well deserved Guest Designer spot at CAS Mix Up! Your card is absolutely gorgeous! I love the dreamy effect of your watercoloring, and how you added dimension with the darker blue marker! I also love how you framed it out, and added soft blue around the border...so pretty!

nancy littrell said...

So beautiful and so you Karen. I love your watered stamped flower (I now have because of you mf). Heat Embossing your sentiment really makes it pop. Your black splatters were such an artsy touch. TFS and joining CAS Mix Up as our Featured Designer.

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Karen, love how you've coloured this image, cathy x

Gunilla/Nilla said...

Love your style! This card is sooo pretty!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

You do the most beautiful cards.
Faith
x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

So lovely. You really show of watercolor techniques to the nth degree! I always find your cards inspiring (and I delude myself into the thinking 'I could do this')!

A Place for Kia said...

Gorgeous Karen - tfs

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful watercolor stamping Karen - love the touch of splatter too - congrats on being Guest DT for this fun challenge! Julia xx